It might sound weird to others but what does it mean when your tongue itches? To start, it’s basically normal when a part of our body itches. No human being does not itch especially if they are outdoors most of the time. But the question is: what does it mean when your tongue itches? To explain furthermore, our tongue plays an important role in our life. It’s the one that helps our brain tell whether the food or drink we are eating or drinking is hot or cold, sweet or sour, bitter or spicy. Our tongue is also sensitive. In fact, there are various reasons why our tongue gets itchy. Some of these reasons are allergies and infections to the tongue. Some foods can cause infections to our tongue and those infections usually start with the itchiness of the tongue. And if the itchiness is not taken care of, it might lead to some serious tongue problems which can affect our sense of taste. To help you be informed about tongue itchiness, here are some helpful facts:
1. The most common cause of the itchiness in the tongue is its reaction to allergy. We all have allergies to some foods especially seafood and most of the time, the tongue gets the first wave of that itchiness.
2. Some of us have tongues that get really itchy and react to foods so quickly. This fact has been proven and backed by studies. In fact, even if you don’t have an allergy to anything, just a little bit of shrimp or any seafood might make your tongue really itchy.
3. There are certain chemicals and ingredients in foods and drinks that can cause itchiness to our tongue. Since our tongue is sensitive, an excessive chemical can trigger tongue allergy.
4. For some, there is a mysterious belief as to why our tongue gets itchy. This reason is that someone is about to kiss you. But again, this is a mysterious belief and is not backed by any factual findings.
6. Water is still the best remedy against an itchy tongue. In relation to this, any sweet foods and drinks can help lessen the itch.
7. If your tongue continues to itchy and the itchiness continues to worsen, it might mean that your tongue is severely infected. Go to the doctor and have yourself checked.
There are other explanations as to what does it mean when your tongue itches. But regardless of the reason, we must take it seriously and don’t let it pass by like nothing happened. You might regret it if you lost your sense of taste.